In the field the students affectionately called one of the features a Cattle Squisher. I giggled at the time, "knowing" it was actually called a Squeeze Chute, but I am the one who has been schooled. Squeeze chute may be a more modern name in the United States. As early agriculture station brochures found in the
Internet Archive suggest a variety of names including squeeze chute, cattle crush, AND cattle squisher.
Normally I do not suggest using Wikipedia a location of source material, but whomever had done the historical section of the article
Livestock Crush has done a lot of work. There are various images of historical crushs (or
travail in French). Some are situated outside of blacksmith shops.
My favourite image from Wikipedia:
Up San Emigdio Canyon, at Dominguez Flat is the location of the early
settlement. An early 1900 description includes in the list a blacksmith
shop. So far archaeologist have not been able to find the supposed
blacksmith shop. Perhaps if they find the old location of a crush /
squeeze chute, as used for shoeing both horse and ox, the shop could be
relocated. Something to think about for latter.
No comments:
Post a Comment